top of page
  • Writer's pictureBel

Making Lampshade Blings - My Altenew Level 2 Challenge

I am assigned to do a 3D or home décor project with a matching card or tag. It took me time to conceptualize, and execute the project. I wanted to do something I've never done before. Why not shrink plastic and beading? At first, I thought of making wine glass charms. But I've done it before, so it is not really a challenge to make it. I looked around my house and thought of uplifting a lamp shade in time for the delivery of my new sofa. When my sofa arrived mid-September, I started to work on the project. I made lamp shade blings and produced several shrink plastic charms using one of Altenew's build-a-flower set that has clear outlines and mimics the flower prints in my sofa.

Materials for making the stamped plastic charms:

1. Altenew Dahlia Blossoms stamp & die set

2. Shrink plastic, five sheets, 12 x 8 inches, regular matte

3. Stazon ink pad, Jet Black

4. Stazon all-purpose stamp cleaner

5. Altenew markers (R302, R304, Y612, Y823)

6. Copic marker (R35)

7. MISTI stamp positioner

8. Gemini die cutting machine

9. Silicone glue pad, heat-resistant

10. Hole puncher

11. Gemini die cutting machine

12. Tweezers

13. Acrylic block

Note: When shrinking the plastic with a heat gun, ensure that your room is well ventilated or do it outside. In my case, I turned off my air conditioning and opened all the windows in my craft room. The smell of melted plastic may not be good for some people.

Materials for the beading part:

1. Shrink plastic Dahlia Blossoms flower charms

2. Acrylic beads, lightweight

3. Craft wire, gold, No. 5

4. Wire cutter

5. Round nose pliers

6. Long nose pliers

7. Hole puncher

8. Braided hemp cord, 2 meters

9. Aleene's Tack it Over and Over liquid glue

10. Needle and thread

It took me about 5 days to finish everything, with errands and chores in between. Here's the link to the instructional/demo video. Since the video is quite long, you may opt to click the fast speed button should you wish to have quick views only of some portions, like the coloring and wire wrapping parts.


Google Photo:

For the matching card, I used the extra shrink plastic charms, formed it into a Christmas floral tree, and embellished it with gold sequins. I used a die in my stash for the recessed flower vase. I blended distress oxides (i.e., Lucky Clover and Mowed Lawn) for the vase background. I used Altenew Calligraphy Capital letters to form the word "joy" as the card's sentiment.

40 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page